Tuesday 17 January 2012

Mango Sorbet

Since I got my ice cream machine for Christmas, I haven't stopped making ice cream; vanilla, strawberry, baileys, nutella...But then I thought that maybe it was time to try something different, so I opened my recipe books and a page on Safari and got searching. I finally settled on a recipe from this book and wrote about it for all you out there!

I've always been a fan of sorbet. It has this magical property where, in the middle of a really posh meal, just when you think you are about to burst, along comes this little glass with an equally tiny scoop of sorbet; and then, as you groan and reluctantly take a bite of this golden orb, you suddenly feel rejuvenated, less full and ready to take on the next obscenely extravagant course!

So here I present to you:

Mango Sorbet

Bare Necessities:
2 Large Ripe Mangoes (or 1kg Chopped Mangoes)
130g Granulated Sugar
160ml Water
4tsp Lime Juice (plus more to taste)
1tbsp Rum (totally optional, or you could switch it with vodka, or go experimental and try something else!)
pinch Salt

1. Peel and chop the mangoes, cutting the flesh away from the stone. (skip this step if you already have chopped mango)
2. Add the sugar, water, lime juice, alcohol and salt and blend to a puree.
3. Taste a little bit and add more lime juice, salt, sugar or alcohol as needed. Remember, alcohol affects the freezing temperature, so the more you add, the softer it will be. Be careful not to add too much or it won't freeze at all!
4. Chill in the fridge for 5-10 mins and then put into your ice-cream machine and follow the manufacturer's instructions. 
5. Serve up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment