Sunday 28 June 2015

Rainy Day Madeira Cake

Well that's the British summer over and done with! And now on to endure the perennial British rain. Lovely.

And so I've found myself on a typical rainy day, wanting to bake something, but having two major problems:
1) I didn't have any inspiration
2) I didn't want to go outside in the rain to get any extra ingredients

But then I stumbled upon this recipe, a simple, yummy Madeira cake. Perfect. What it lacks in a speedy baking time, it makes up for in simplicity. A great addition to a cup of tea when all you want to do is curl up in a ball and wait for the rain to stop.

Side note: I've recently move house and so am still getting used to the oven. As a result, I cooked my cake at too high a temperature, causing it to sink in the middle. i have since adjusted the temperature and cooking time accordingly, so please let me know if it works.

Rainy Day Madeira Cake
Bare Necessities:
110g/4oz Butter
11og/4oz Sugar
2tbsp Golden Syrup
2 Eggs
175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract

1. Pre-heat the oven to 160C/320F.
2. Grease and line a loaf tin.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the Vanilla extract, syrup and eggs until fully combined (don't worry if it curdles at this point).
5. Fold in the flour and baking powder until fully combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and pop in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
7. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
8. Slice up and enjoy with a nice cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment